Dog Exercise Areas
Dogs are allowed in the Wheaton Park District’s parks with certain limitations.
Here are the park district’s policies on dogs in the parks:
- Dogs must be on a leash (no longer than 6 feet) while in the park.
- Dogs are not allowed to run loose in the parks. Any animal found running loose may be apprehended and taken to an animal shelter or public pound (at the expense of the owner).
- Dogs are not permitted in picnic areas, athletic fields or playgrounds.
- Cruel treatment and/or neglect of any animal are not allowed in the parks.
- “Predator” animals are not allowed on district property or natural areas unless they are confined and actively monitored by an adult owner in a closed vehicle.
- Dog owners must clean up and properly dispose of dog waste.
- Dogs are not allowed at Cosley Zoo.
(These items are included in the Wheaton Park District Ordinance Regulating Conduct in Public Parks, R-90-8, 1990; and are also covered in the Wheaton Municipal Code, 1998, Chapter 14 – Animals)
- Please keep your dog under control at all times, and do not let them disturb other visitors or wildlife.
- Remember to provide your dog with plenty of fresh water.
- Please be aware of the signs that are posted in the parks regarding dog policies.
Outside Exercise or Training Areas
For residents who are interested in outside exercise or training areas for their dogs, we provide the following list of locations in the Wheaton area where you may take your dog. Each location has its own rules and hours, and can be contacted for more information.
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County-Dog Exercise and Training Areas 630-933-7200 or 630-790-4900
- Blackwell Forest Preserve, Warrenville (4.5 miles SW of downtown Wheaton) 1/4 mile east of Route 59 on the south side of Mack Road. Dog area is south of the parking lot. Dog sledding is permitted on multipurpose trails.
- East Branch Forest Preserve, Glendale Heights (5 miles NE of downtown Wheaton) 1 mile north of North Avenue on the west side of Swift Road. Dog area is west of the parking lot. (Pond available for water training).
- Mallard Lake Forest Preserve, Hanover Park (6 miles NW of downtown Wheaton) Lawrence Road west of Gary Avenue and north of Schick Road. Dog area is south of the parking lot.
- Mayslake Forest Preserve, Oak Brook (7.5 miles SE of downtown Wheaton) St. Paschal’s Drive south of 31st Street and west of Route 83. Dog area is north of the parking lot. (Area is fully fenced).
- Pratt’s Wayne Woods Forest Preserve, Wayne (9.5 miles NW of downtown Wheaton) 1 mile north of Army Trail Road on the east side of Powis Road. Dog area is south of the parking lot. (Area is three-fourths fenced).
- Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve, Naperville (9 miles SW of downtown Wheaton) 1/2 mile south of 75th Street on the east side of Naperville/Plainfield Road. Dog area is east of the parking lot.