Independence Day Celebration
July 3 | Fireworks | Graf Park
July 4 | Parade | Downtown Wheaton
Parade float entry registrations are now being accepted for the 2019 annual parade!
Wednesday, July 3
Fireworks & Family Fun | Graf Park
5P: Park opens with DJ, carnival rides and games, food vendors and more. Come early, save your seat and enjoy a night in the park.
9P (Approx.): Fireworks start. Show is estimated in length at approximately 22 minutes.
Please refer to the Parking Map (PDF) when traveling to the event.
Due to the nature of the event at Graf Park (large crowds of people, loud sounds of fireworks) it is strongly suggested to leave pets safely at home for this event. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Thursday, July 4
Annual Parade | Downtown Wheaton
Use your imagination as you design your parade entry/float in conjunction with this year’s theme: “Home Grown”. This year’s parade theme pays tribute to hometown Wheaton and those who were born and raised here and those who continue to call Wheaton home even if they have moved afar. We encourage parade entrants to use your imagination as you design your parade entry/float.
Parade steps off at 10A.
Print & Complete Registration: Parade Application (PDF)
Go Green | Best use of recycled materials
Best Youth Group | Best entry from participants under 16 yrs. old
Best Nonprofit (includes churches) | Best entry from a nonprofit organization
Best Neighborhood | Best entry by a Wheaton neighborhood
Carlsons’ Best of Show | Overall best entry/float
Mayor’s Spirit | Best representation of Wheaton
Best Musical | Best entry performing music
Bart Loiacono Most Creative | A creative idea brought to fruition
Best Use of Theme | Best use of current parade theme
Most Patriotic | A political entry that entertains or is patriotic
Please note: Honorariums are not eligible for awards.
- All vehicles must be decorated appropriately for July 4th holiday. Only decorated vehicles integral to the entry will be allowed to enter parade route.
- Candy must be handed out and not thrown into or at the crowd.
- Participants distributing information must walk along and keep up with their specific entry.
- Water guns or super soakers are not permitted.
- Parade marshals will be present along the parade to ensure safety and to keep the parade moving. You are required to follow their instructions. Please be respectful of these volunteers and the police who will be assisting them.
- The Wheaton Park District is not responsible for entrant’s actions.
- Your participation is contingent upon the receipt of your signed entry form and the appropriate payment.
Rules in addition to the above for BUSINESS ENTRIES:
- Business entries are allowed a maximum of 3 vehicles plus 1 float.
- In the spirit of the holiday, do something within your entry to celebrate the day remembering the theme of the parade. Don’t just put a truck in the parade; it must be decorated.
Rules in addition to the above for POLITICAL ENTRIES:
- Political candidate entries are specifically limited to no more than 25 people per candidate/entrance fee and 2 vehicles. This number includes vehicle/float drivers, banner carriers, walkers, float riders and/or technical support.
- Each entry is limited to one candidate or slate. Candidates who choose to walk together should each pay a separate entry fee and then submit a request to be combined to email@example.com.
- Negative campaigning is not permitted.
Please inform all of your participants of these rules. These rules have been based on community feedback. It is strongly suggested that your entry follow the spirit of these rules and not try to work around them in order to be fair to all entries. The Wheaton Park District reserves the right for all group placement and lineup in the parade. Above all else, our intent is for participants and spectators alike to have fun and enjoy the event!
Note: Due to Wesley St. construction, the parade route will be altered and end at City Hall. The judging area will be relocated to Union Ave. at Memorial Park.