Rules & Procedures
Personal Conduct & Safety Concerns
- Only clean footwear is allowed in the pool area and bathhouse.
- Swimsuits only, please. Leotards, cut-offs, and colored t-shirts are not allowed.
- Children who are not toilet-trained must wear double swim diapers and tight-fitting plastic pants. These are available for purchase at Rice Pool & Water Park.
- No spitting, spouting water or blowing of the nose in the water.
- Do not drink the pool water.
- Boisterous, rough play, and running are not allowed.
- Persons violating personal conduct regulations, written or verbal, may be subject to disciplinary action or asked to leave without a refund.
- All other state and local health laws apply.
- All park district facilities are smoke-free.
- Chewing gum is not allowed in the pool.
- Oil products may not be used before you enter the pool.
- Glass containers of all kinds are not permitted in the pool area.
- Sitting or climbing on rocks and fences is not permitted.
- Rules may be added or waived by management when appropriate.
- Any person under the influence of alcohol or exhibiting erratic behavior will not be permitted in the pool area.
- There will be no paging. The public address system is for official use only.
- The management is not responsible for the loss or theft of personal belongings.
Rice Pool (3) | Northside (1)
Swirling through the water and gliding down the water slides is an experience unlike any other. Rules for slides are posted at the pool. Water slides are free with daily admission or season pass.
- Do not dive into less than five feet of water.
- Use the diving boards with caution. Swimmers may be required to pass a swim test before using the diving boards.
- Lounge chairs are available for use (18 years and older).
- Personal lounges and chairs are allowed in designated areas.
- Eating and drinking are permitted only in the concession area.
- Locker rentals are available for 25¢. All persons are encouraged to take a shower before entering the pool area.
- Showers, changing area, and swimsuit dryers are available.
- Family bathrooms are available at Rice Pool & Water Park.
- Girls 6 years or older should use the Women’s Locker Room. Boys 6 years or older should use the Men’s Locker Room.
Concession stands at both facilities are open daily. Hot dogs, pizza, soda, popcorn, ice cream, and nachos are featured at reasonable prices. The concession stand may close if weather or attendance warrants.
Outside Food & Beverage
Wheaton Park District rules specify that no food or drink may be brought into the pools. Food and beverages are available at the concession stand, or persons may leave the pool, eat their food in the park at Northside or on the observation deck at Rice, and be readmitted to the pool. For details, please see the notice posted at each pool. The aquatic facilities are a smoke-free environment. Smoking is only permitted outside the facilities.
The Wheaton Park District offers swim lessons and swim team programming to the community.
Parties & Rentals
- Parties must be scheduled at least five (5) days in advance. We are currently booking for the 2022 season.
- Seven-day notice must be given to reschedule or cancel.
- If cancellation is not given seven (7) days in advance, the deposit is forfeited. The rescheduling fee is $5.
- If the pool closes due to inclement weather, the party is rescheduled at no additional charge.
- Everyone entering the front gate is considered a guest of the party, including grandparents, parents of children at the party, etc.
- Booking a party requires a 50% deposit and a complete contract.
For more information, see the Parties & Rentals Page
Play Toys & Swim Devices
- Play toys are restricted to the baby pool and the sand play area.
- Inflatable swimming devices and flotation jackets may be used within an arm’s reach of a chaperone.
- Balls of all kinds are not permitted.
- Masks, snorkels and fins are allowed with the manager’s permission.
- Rice Pool & Water Park or Northside Family Aquatic Center may be closed for public swimming if the air temperature is 68 degrees or below, or at the manager’s discretion based on inclement weather, low attendance or unusual circumstances.
- Sections of either pool may close if low attendance warrants.
- Refunds, rain checks, or prorated fees are not offered for any type of pool closure.
Lap Swimming & Etiquette
Supervision of Children
- Parents or guardians must be responsible for supervising their children. Lifeguards are on duty to enforce rules and to respond in case of an emergency.
- Children 10 and under must be accompanied by a chaperone at least 14 years old.
The District’s Lifeguard Staff starts another season under the top national waterpark safety program, Ellis & Associates. The guard staff must complete and pass a 20-hour training program which includes lifeguard rescue skills, emergency procedures, and community CPR. The guards must also attend weekly in-service training sessions and participate in surprise simulations. Throughout the season, auditors from Ellis & Associates conduct three unannounced visits to audit staff performance.