Lessons & Programs
Swim programs are offered at Northside Family Aquatic Center and Rice Pool & Water Park (ADA Accessible).
The Wheaton Park District Barracudas Swim Team competes in the West Suburban Swim Conference and is made up of boys and girls ages 6-18 who compete in their own age groups. Swim Team is not a swim lesson program; participants must be able to swim laps in deep water comfortably and have a basic knowledge of the components of swim team.
Placement for lessons is based on skill, not age. Children are tested and placed in appropriate levels on the first day of class (children must be toilet trained). These descriptions apply to swimming lessons at both Northside Family Aquatic Center and Rice Pool & Water Park. In order to move to the next level, one must perform the following skills correctly:
• Toddler I: First time lessons
• Toddler II: Able to blow bubbles and put face in water
• Toddler III: Move with feet off of bottom, front float, back float, beginning stroke
Youth, Ages 6 & Over**
• Beginner I: Enter water, hold breath, blow bubbles, front float and glide
• Beginner II: Front float, front glide, crawl stroke 20 feet (arms & kick), jump into chest-deep water
• Beginner III: Crawl stroke with rhythmic breathing, jump into deep water, back float with movement
• Advanced Beginner WPD: (Must have passed Beginners) Crawl stroke with rhythmic breathing survival float, treading water, elementary back stroke, front dive, underwater swim
• Intermediate WPD: (Must have passed Adv. Beginners) Review crawl and elementary backstroke, sidestroke, breaststroke, 5-minute swim
• Swimmer WPD: (Must have passed Intermediate) Breaststroke, sidestroke, back crawl, review all strokes, 10-minute swim
• 3- to 5-year-olds: 4 swimmers to 1 instructor
• 6 years and over: 6-8 swimmers to 1 instructor
• Advanced classes may possibly have 10 to 1 ratio
Please note: Register for as many classes or sessions as you wish. Swimming lessons are not made up, nor are refunds provided due to missed lessons for inclement weather or absence. There are no class cancellations. Instructors reserve the right to place the participant in the class best suited to his or her ability.
**If your child has passed any of the above swim levels, please bring swim certificate or card to the first class.